What is Adaptive Clothing?
Adaptive clothing is specifically designed to help make dressing and functioning easier for people with disabilities. Individuals experience less sensory overload with adaptive clothing and find adaptive clothing to be more comfortable, breathable, and easy to wear. Adaptive clothing is also perfect for seniors, wheelchair users, and individuals with specific disabilities.
Below Are Some Examples of Adaptive Clothing
- Clothes that can be worn backwards or inside out and can be worn on the inside or outside.
- Magnetic closures are used instead of buttons on pants, shirts, dresses, or skirts.
- Comfortable wheelchair pants that are higher in the back and lower in the front.
- Step-in shoes that don’t require force from the wearer or zip-up shoes.
- Easy-to-access medical equipment-friendly clothing.
- Items of clothing that are sensory-friendly.
- Outfits consisting of one piece.
Places to Buy Adaptive Clothing
Below are some brands and stores that offer sensory-friendly and adaptive clothing for all ages on the Autism Spectrum! Shipping information can be found at the bottom of each website. Most brands on this list ship to the United States and Canada. Some brands ship outside of the United States and Canada but fees are applied.
- Tommy Hilfiger Adaptive has adaptive clothing that’s thoughtfully crafted so every individual can express their personal style without the fuss, including one-hand zippers, magnetic buttons, and seams that open to accommodate prosthetics.
- Buck and Buck is absolutely an amazing brand that has adaptive clothing specifically made for seniors! Shirts, shorts, pants, pj’s, shoes, dresses, and more! Buck and Buck clothing is also perfect for seniors in assisted living and is designed to be comfortable and easy to remove.
- Independence Day Clothing is an adaptive clothing line for kids, tweens, teens, and adults. Independence Day Clothing is front and back reversible; some clothing can even be worn inside out and still look normal, which is a plus when putting on clothes can be a considerable challenge.
- Special Kids Company makes adaptive clothing that is designed with sensory sensitivities in mind for all ages, with no tags or hidden fasteners, Special Kids Company also carries chewies and fidget devices.
- Rebound Wear makes stylish adaptive clothing that can hold or accommodate medical equipment. You can shop by specific needs, such as incontinence, surgery recovery, and port/IV access. Rebound Wear is available for all ages.
- Target Adaptive offers a variety of fashionable adaptive clothing for all ages, Target Adaptive clothing includes hidden leg openings, flat seams, hidden abdominal access, and tag-free clothing.
- Billy Footwear doesn’t offer adaptive clothing but it’s on this list because they offer zip-up footwear that maintains the look of lace-up footwear. This is amazing for individuals on the Autism Spectrum and extremely helpful when it comes to worrying about shoes coming untied and causing tripping hazards! This is extremely helpful when someone has difficulty tying their shoes.
As a caregiver, it’s important to also make your own needs a priority in order to operate at your fullest potential. I highly recommend incorporating a plant-based diet into your lifestyle! This guide will teach you how to incorporate a plant-based diet into your lifestyle and prepare meals that will help you achieve body-building goals. Besides learning what supplements to take, you’ll also learn what foods to include and avoid in your diet. Check out the guide here: Discover 12 Tips to Body Building & Gaining Weight on a Plant-Based Diet.
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog post! I hope you found it informative and helpful. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to leave a comment below. I appreciate your input and will do my best to respond to all comments. If you know someone who could benefit from this information, please share this post with them! 🙂
2 thoughts on “7 Best Sensory-Friendly Adaptive Clothing Brands for Anyone with Autism”
Very informative! Thank you so much <3
I’m so glad you enjoyed it and I hope you found it very helpful! 🙂